Saturday, August 8, 2009

Project Synopis and Discussion of Summer Online Class

I'm not sure why I'm posting synopsis and discussion from my google doc... except that it is another piece of documentation into my life this summer. The web 2.0 class has been great and Chris, the instructor has been easy to learn from and talk to. It was his one day workshop last summer at the VA DOE STEM conference that really thrust me into a more comfortable place with the wikis I was experimenting with and the google tools. So... it was because he was the instructor and because I was having a major professional growth summer, that I decided to take the class. I really wanted to fine-tune my skills and knowledge with some of the web 2.0 tools and I have to say that I've learned and taught folks within the class. That's the way it should be, shouldn't it? Back to my phrase, If I participate, I benefit! So... about totally online learning. HMMM...I can't help admitting that I have a real yearning to meet all of these folks face to face that I've been sharing ideas and collaborating with all summer... but, I'm not thinking it is going to happen. I proposed a coffee shop meeting, but probably too late in the class and we all are really busy and all over central VA. I will check once more on the blackboard "water fountain" discussion and see if there are any folks planning to come to Panera Bread tomorrow morning. If so... I'll definitely go!

So.. the synopsis documentation.
Janelle Catlett's Project Synopsis for
SU.2009_TEACHING WITH WEB 2.0 TECHNOLOGY IN 21ST CENTURY CLASSROOM Summer 09

Background Knowledge:
This summer I have had numerous learning experiences and opportunities which include collaborative work and attendance of several conferences. All of these experiences have offered me learning opportunites to prepare for a new professional role as an instructional coach in ACPS. With this new role, brings a new and refined focus on how to best facilitate growth with peers, through a collaborative team approach and specific mentoring language. I am excited and have many ideas for how I will support and grow with my colleagues this year. One project that I am currently working on has been a most difficult charge for me and I would like to use the work that I am currently involved in as my course project. This project involves a variety of teachers from all grade levels and experiences in Albemarle County (ACPS). We were charged with the idea of creating Critical Thinking Assessments. Many of these teachers have never worked together, nor did we know each other, so as you can imagine, we have wandered in the wilderness for quite a while and we have a very messy and random wikihaha, I think we all start out with those! -Chris ONeal 8/6/09 9:57 AM as a result of our work for the 2 days in June. The group of approximately 20 educators eventually split into 2 groups, elementary and upper grades, after establishing some definitions and parameters for our work. We have worked for 5 days total over the summer and we have much work to do.
(optimal) Parameters for Critical Thinking Tasks:
  • Frequency: given quarterly for assessment
  • Duration: short (30 minutes or less)
  • Requirements: cooperation/collaboration (work together for part or all)
  • Technology is used as a tool for student communication
  • Outcome is flexible (students can write, produce art, model, simulate, etc)
  • Communication (written, visual, or oral)
  • Work is authentic to the habits of the discipline
  • Work is relevant to the student; engages
  • Tasks are common across grade level teams

Synopsis:
I am one of several organizers and collaborators of a wiki where a group of elementary educators are developing tasks or lessons that encourage the expectation of critical thinking by students and the expectation of higher order questioning by teachers. We still need to develop the rubrics for these tasks as well as the page for technology ideas and student models. We are struggling with consensus and the details of the work, but we continue to move forward. I would like to add a page on the wiki that supports the "voice" of the students giving examples of web tools that can be used for sharing student thoughts, outcomes, and stories.

As an instructional coach, I am focusing on teacher standards.
This Critical Thinking Assessment Project encourages the following NETS -T standards.

NETS-T 1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity

Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.

Teachers:

a. promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness

b. engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources

c. promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students’ conceptual understanding and thinking, planning, and creative processes

d. model collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in face-to-face and virtual environments


NETS-T 2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments

Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S.

Teachers:

a. design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity

b. develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress

c. customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources

d. provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching


Closing comments:
I have many additional ideas, thanks to this course, that I hope to expand upon this school year. For example, I hope to continue my personal blog (blogger) as a journal, documenting my year as an instructional coach. I also hope to become more proficient with collaborative tools such as all of the google tools, engaging teachers and students in a variety of opportunities. I'm also considering the use of a google site or a wiki to be my "web presence" tool for a one-stop place for teachers to find resources, ideas and communication tools. There is much work to do! Thanks for an engaging summer full of resources and discussions.
If my group takes a different path tomorrow on this Critical Thinking Assessment Wiki, then I would like to proceed with my own wiki or site, and I'll rewrite the synopsis. Please give me feedback on my ideas.

Question: Does the project have to be completed by August 15th or just well underway???It definitely does not have to be completed. Your synopsis, etc. of what you PLAN to do just needs to be done. So, you're totally good. Several of the projects that people have talked about won't really even be able to start until students return. So, it's really just about sharing ideas. And thanks - yours are great. -Chris ONeal 8/6/09 10:00 AM

Chris-
We have had some dissonance last night and today on direction and tools for our critical assessment work... so right now, we have a very messy wiki that led to another elementary wiki which will eventually be a springboard for possible content specific wikis. Ha! (we're still speaking and laughing, though) After all of this... the wiki may not have been the best tool as you know how wikis can be glorified drop boxes where folks parallel play. Having said that... I am using a google doc for developing my lesson with the hope of additional support and comments from peers eventually. However... we have come to the agreement that our content work is the big focus and the tools will work out as we go. In the meantime, lots of experimentation and learning is taking place as well as great discussions. Again, I am working away on a model lesson that will be placed on the wiki eventually and possibly uploaded to SchoolNet. I have fallen into the whole lesson idea so I'm totally not able to follow the parameters listed above to just focus on critical thinking assessment. (can't stick to 30 minute timeframe to save my life!!) I guess what I really need to know from you is what do you want to see from this project? Do you want to see my google doc lesson when it's completed, do you want links for the messy wikis? or what? I need to understand what you need from me as I have a tightly scheduled life this month as I prepare for New Teacher Academy, a Smartboard Pres. in Rockingham Co.... well you understand the lifestyle. I have tomorrow or Saturday to work on what is expected in it's entirety for this class. Please let me know explicitly if I have missing assignments or if you expect a more formal plan written. As far as the rubric, I'm not sure the student equity piece fits into this project, at this point. That would be a goal for our work, for sure as we would like to think that we are encouraging critical thinking in our classrooms enough that we feel comfortable with formative assessments to guide our work. There is teacher equity as far as the group working collaboratively. I guess I'm unclear on what else or what format you would like me to move forward on. Thanks for your response and understanding... I'm just a little stressed with all of the stuff I said yes to this summer!. -Janelle Catlett 8/6/09 11:06 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment