Thursday, September 3, 2009

What a Week, What's Your Interest? Roundup #1

Okay... first let me say, I feel much better today compared to earlier in the week! Warning, here comes the RAMBLINGS... too tired to be completely cohesive.
I'm becoming much more reflective on things and starting to say appropriate responses. Still working longer hours than I should, and spending much time just talking and getting to know teachers. Had a class of wine or beer almost everyday this week, but no exercising. NOT GOOD. (remember my 3 words? grow, active, accept) Very active at school with walking the halls... but not sure that's enough!
Today, We had our first Cluster meeting with my team, our principals and assistant principals. We, the coaches, organized our deeds, tasks, efforts according to TPA domains and it was a nice conversation starter. Not our original idea... but an idea from other coaching teams that met earlier this week.
I've accomplished a few jobs, such as making a huge order for 2 K teachers, only to find out only one is going to get money for ordering... and only a pittance compared to what is needed for my huge order. Oh well... it is done, I've shared out with others just in case it can save others time. Grabbed some of my personal picture books from WES this week to take to a friend who is desperate need of classroom books. Saw many of my old colleagues. It was heart-warming to be back in the building... got hugs from many students and teachers. I wanted to cry! Maybe I did... just a little.
This week... I did an assessment, that I really don't believe was necessary... but I did it! Give a QRI to a kindergartner on the 2nd week of school!! WOW. But... as the teacher already really knew. A very bright kid. very articulate, very interesting. I had a blast with this young one. he even drew a picture that I now have hanging up in one of my spaces (at the school). Had a great meeting with one school's teacher leaders, helping to understand roles, explored SIP plans, received comprehension strategy work, etc. Great points came up such as potential future issues that may arise in reference to SBIT kids. I also spent time in some first grade classrooms today at one school. What fun that was! I was amazed at one young teacher's mannerisms and rapport with her young students. It was heartwarming and just a class I want to hang around. Walked into a classroom where other first graders were discussing scientists. Again... I was amazed at explanations and vocabulary. Budding scientists for sure! Attended an Activboard training yesterday and spent some time w/ ActivChad trying to problemsolve at a school. I walked into a bee's nest when I entered the classroom he was in observing. Long complicated story with mulitple issues. Had long conversations and sent a carefully crafted email.. I just worry that tech decisions will be made now without considering all instructional points. I think I care too much about stuff... UGH. and this causes stress!! I empathize with the teachers who are frustrated over technology not working and their old fashioned whiteboard is limited in space due to IWB placement! What a mess in this state of the art addition, as well as older rooms. Each room has a different problem. overwhelming...
Today, I met another incredible male teacher in 1st grade by hanging with him at recess. I was able to articulate what the coaching model was all about. using the word interest instead of need... turns everything just right. Thanks to DC, at our meeting this morning, this brilliant wording came out. OMG... how words can change the sway of things... So, to address this verbage... When I say to a teacher, What are you interested in doing? What are you interested in trying? What are you interested in exploring? It is so much more welcoming and can open collaborative possibilities. As the principals were reminded today... this is not a coaching model for the principals, this is a coaching model for the teachers. Wow... simple, yet so profound. Now... isn't that just the most interesting thought?

Things to remember for next week:
  • get seeds and share (2 schools)
  • find picture Cue cards (B)
  • comic life examples for cycles (B)
  • help unpack a transferred teacher (B)
  • work on garageband lesson (M)
  • explore Promethean Planet
  • followup on VAwiki (H)
  • followup on twitter talk (B)
  • followup on googledocs talk (B)
  • math meeting (H)
  • followup on transition observation (M)
  • wait and see if anyone bites on math parking lot lesson (B)
  • PALS login coming???
  • Camp Albemarle date question
  • followup with teacher on IWB math playing afterschool

No comments:

Post a Comment