Thursday, September 8, 2011

Students Asking Questions

Harvard Education Letter

I think of the inquiry lessons that I worked on with a colleague 2 years ago. The lessons were centered on student questions within the context of a plant unit. ie - Does candy grow from a seed? I provided the students an opportunity to explore seeds of all sizes through images and loads and loads of real seed. We explored where a seed comes from... and I fondly remember planting a "jolly rancher" candy as part of our work together. I remember how challenging it was for me to "plan" for these lessons, not knowing what questions the students would ask each day in the course of our work and I tried to predict what they may want to pursue. With that memory... I wanted to archive this article to think more about questioning... and inquiry... and structures that may support questioning or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment