Thursday, August 12, 2010

rambling thoughts on FACES

A new school year is upon us. Preschool days have started. New Teacher Academy, Coaches Kick-Off, first Staff Meetings are coming up. New and familiar faces are all around us. All kinds of faces. Scared, excited, anxious, unsure, confident, seasoned, bright, calculating, thoughtful, questioning ... I could fill the post with adjectives! (actually would like to do that as I like to list things when I'm procrastinating!!) Faces... The diversity is bountiful! Faces with their eyes are sure to be the windows to the depth below... windows to the heart and to the soul and to the wonderings... and the questions. But as I ponder and work through the next two weeks ... I must focus on the mouth of these faces. I need to especially focus on my OWN mouth. The mouth can dim the bright eyes and disappoint the faces, OR the mouth can cheer, encourage and guide... OR create confusion, misunderstandings and hurt!... as I so so know. As I prepare myself to be an Instructional Coach - Year 2, I think about how I must listen deeply, observe carefully, and implore from the eyes as to what's behind them. And ask the right questions. What are the thoughts, desires, questions and interests of these faces. Year 1 - the relationships were built... at least some! There's always work to do with relationships... they need nurturing and continued support and care to grow. Year 2 as an instructional coach is thefocus on WITH, not FOR. What can I do with you??? How can our work grow deeper with each other's collaborative support? What is your face telling me? Watching faces...that's what I will be doing. And focusing on our relationships and our collaborative partnerships that can benefit all of our professional lives as well as our students' learning? This is a goal for me. We must bring joy and deep understanding to the faces and minds of each student. And we should have FUN doing it!! Ahhh... the bright eyes of students. Nothing like 'em. Let's keep them bright. Let's make sure that they never go dim. I am so looking forward to all of the faces. So...Ears, work hard! Brain... stay focused...Mouth... behave! Slow down... watch, listen, think. Promoting bright eyes, deep thinking, asking the right questions... and always learning. Join me. What can I do with you? Let's learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment